Sunday, February 3, 2008

75/365 the day the music died

"A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.

But february made me shiver
With every paper I’d deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn’t take one more step.

I can’t remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died..."

-Don McLean, American Pie

this song always makes me think of my mother and aunt. we used to drive from texas to wisconsin in the summers and listen to their favorite music on the road. we bought a don mclean tape at a truck stop and they explained the history of rock and roll to me and my siblings. i still know every word and hearing the song immediately evokes the feeling of summer road trips.

No comments: